Medical Scientist (Biochemistry)
|Apply before: 30th November 2020|
|Position Type: Full-time|
|Location: MedLab Pathology, Unit 3, Sandyford Business Park, Sandyford Business Estate, Dublin 18|
About MedLab Pathology
MedLab Pathology (MLP) was established in May 2010 as Sonic Healthcare's Irish laboratory facility. MedLab Pathology is being developed to bring together our proven international capabilities and local expertise to provide internationally recognised best practice developments in laboratory medicine to the Irish healthcare sector.
Sonic Healthcare is an international medical diagnostics company, offering extensive laboratory medicine/pathology and radiology services to the medical community. Sonic Healthcare is structured as a decentralised federation of medically-led diagnostic practices, with our head office located in Sydney, Australia.
MLP offers a wide range of diagnostic pathology tests and patient services from our Dublin-based laboratory to the Irish healthcare sector. Through our dedicated clinical, scientific, customer support and logistics staff MedLab Pathology can offer a complete laboratory solution for all Irish healthcare professionals. Our aim is to offer commitment to customer service, strong working relationships and help and support for referring doctors and their practices.
We are seeking an experienced Medical Scientist with Haematology training and experience to fill a role of senior / potential Haematology Line Lead to assist with the provision of a quality laboratory service in line with ISO 15189:2012 standards of MedLab Pathology. As a key member of the Pathology Laboratory team, the Senior Medical Scientist will demonstrate professional competence, team-working skills and facilitate effective communication with colleagues in the organisation. The position requires a participatory approach, embracing continuous quality improvement and the management of changes necessary to achieve organisational objectives. The role will be multi-disciplinary in relation to Biochemistry, Haematology and Serology. Full procedural and cross training will be provided.
- Perform routine work to the highest standards, as determined by the Laboratory Management Team.
- Ensure that all samples are processed in accordance with standard operating procedures.
- Be responsible for the quality of their work and carry out their duties in accordance with Medlab Pathology policy.
- Perform automated Biochemistry, Haematology and Serology analysis
- Observe the strictest confidence when dealing with all aspects of patient or Medlab Pathology information.
- Actively participate in internal and external quality control and quality assurance programmes.
- Participation in the process of evaluation of new methods, techniques and equipment.
- Participate as required in the registration, custody and stock level of the laboratory reagents, consumables and other materials in the Laboratory.
- Ensure the policy relating to laboratory record keeping is followed.
- Participate in the implementation of a “quality management” programme, which is patient centred and which measures and audits performance and client satisfaction.
- Evaluate results and communicate with the Laboratory Management, Consultant Pathologist and/or the requesting clinician any relevant information regarding patient safety.
- Participation in ISO 15189:2012 requirements as directed by Laboratory Management.
- Provision of training for all junior scientists, student scientists and auxiliary laboratory personnel.
- Participation in relevant internal and external training and proficiency programs
- Participation in continuing education and feedback sessions.
- Comply with Health and Safety legislation and be aware of the responsibilities of the employee in this context.
- Participate in the performance review / personal development programme.
The above list of duties is not intended to be a comprehensive list of all duties involved and consequently the post holder may be required to perform other duties as appropriate to the post which may be assigned.
Authorization of patient results.
Communication to nurses, GPs and consultants regarding patient sample and demographic information.
Essential requirements for the ideal candidate:
- Educational Requirements
BSc in Biomedical Science
Membership of the Academy of Clinical Science and Laboratory Medicine (or proven eligibility for membership).
Evidence of certification by CORU or application to CORU
- Experience Required
A minimum of 1 year working in a Biochemistry laboratory
- Key Competencies
Good organization skills.
Ability to work in a team.
Ability to handle confidential material.
Ability to work on own initiative.
Customer Service oriented.
Ability to work under pressure
Efficient and well organized.
- Particulars of office
Full-time permanent contract.
• Normal working hours will be 37.5 hours per week.
• You will be required to work the agreed roster/on call arrangements advised to you by your
• Your contracted hours of work are liable to change between the hours of 7.00am – 8.00pm
Monday – Friday, and 9am-1am on Saturdays.
• The additional on call service is a 24 hr service 7 days a week which carries an additional
Payment and will be rostered accordingly.
Why work at Medlab:
MedLab Pathology are passionate about their people and believe in their development and growth.
- Competitive salary
- An Education Support Programme
- Free on-site parking, ease of access (close to bus and Luas stops)
- On call service
- Cross-training in a multidisciplinary laboratory - Development opportunities
- Opportunities for career progression
- Access to a Pension Scheme
- Access to Employee Health Insurance Scheme with Employee Assistance Programme
- Access to Life Assurance
- Paid work social events
- Reward Scheme for Annual Absence Record
MedLab Pathology is an Equal Opportunities Employer
Please email your CV and cover letter directly to firstname.lastname@example.org